Saturday 12 July 2014

Exciting times ahead

Last Autumn, around about the time Ruby failed to improve with remedial shoeing, I came across Rockley Farm.  It's quite an odd thing, learning to accept that everything you thought and accepted as correct could actually be wrong.  I'm sceptical by nature, but reading through the blog, time and time again Nic's techniques helped horses overcome injuries that would have otherwise left them permanently lame.  Rather than using remedial shoeing to 'force' the foot into landing the 'correct' way, she supplies them with all the fundamental things they need (nutrition, movement, supportive surfaces) to allow them to make changes gradually in a way that is optimal for them.

When Ruby was obviously struggling a few weeks back, I immediately knew that I would ask Nic if she felt Rockley would help.  The response was optimistic so I set about organising the logistics.

Initially I was determined to take Ruby down to Rockley myself.  I was unable to get time off work, and the reality of travelling the length of the country (and back again!!) in a weekend set in so I had to re-evaluate.  I found Acton Hall Transport via a website that searches for transport quotes.  On Tuesday Ruby loaded well into the super smart little lorry, and began her long journey down South.  Gina and Dan were wonderful throughout, updating me with the progress of Ruby's journey over two days, even sending me a photo when she had arrived.  I will definitely use them for her return visit and would recommend them to anyone looking for transport, especially long haul.


Today is day four of her stay, and she has already featured in two blog posts.  In the first post (found here) Nic describes what Ruby needs to do to improve.  The second post (found here) has some lovely pictures showing that she has already made herself at home and has found herself a holiday romance in the shape of Felix, a gorgeous (orange!!) thoroughbred that arrived a few days earlier than she did.  

I'm wishing the weeks away already.  If anyone reads this blog, please send all your hoof-healing vibes in the general direction of Exmoor.  My girl needs them for the next 11 weeks and  3 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment